[Haskell-cafe] Writing "Haskell For Dummies Or At Least For People Who Feel Like Dummies When They See The Word 'Monad'"

Philippa Cowderoy flippa at flippac.org
Mon Dec 11 12:43:53 EST 2006

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Andrew Wagner wrote:

> I think there are some great ideas here, and it would be a fantastic
> project to do as a community, via a wikibook. I, for one, have been
> studying haskell for several months, and am just starting to see a
> little bit of light when it comes to monads. I think it would be
> beneficial to work through a non-trivial construction of a new monad,
> and the larger examples given would be good opportunities to do that.

FWIW, if the book's going to use GADTs then they make building monads
without the use of monad transformers much easier - much like constructing
a simple virtual machine or interpreter. Which IMO reinforces an important
intuition about just what we use monads for.

flippa at flippac.org

There is no magic bullet. There are, however, plenty of bullets that
magically home in on feet when not used in exactly the right circumstances.