[Haskell-cafe] Can someone explain this typing restriction?

Gerrit van den Geest G.vandenGeest at students.uu.nl
Mon Aug 14 10:40:05 EDT 2006

Gerrit van den Geest wrote:

>> I had a feeling this was discussed in "Typing Haskell in Haskell" by
>> Mark Jones, but after a quick skim I can't find it again (I thought
>> it would be
>> in Section 11.6 of his paper).
>
> It is, on page 35 (section 11.6.3) of "Typing Haskell in Haskell" by
> Mark Jones.
Quote:

"This is a consequence of a throw-away comment specifying that all
explicit type signatures in a binding group must have the same context
up to renaming of variables. This is a syntactic restriction that can
easily be checked prior to type checking. Our comment here, however,
suggest that it is unnecessarily restrictive."

I agree with Mark Jones, the Haskell compiler Helium for example doesn't
have this restriction.

I think this issue is also related to the following Haskell' ticket:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/ticket/65

Gerrit