[Haskell-cafe] Can Your Programming Language Do This?

Reilly Hayes rfh at reillyhayes.com
Wed Aug 2 16:02:20 EDT 2006

He can't take it very far.  The whole point is to keep the entire
lesson in the space the audience regards as relevant.  What you know
to be relevant for his audience isn't the same as what his audience
knows to be relevant.  We are emphatically not the audience for this
piece.  Notice how he emphasizes the commercial value.  My guess is
that most of the people who participate on this list are in some sort
of research center, where the value of academic research is a given.

On Aug 2, 2006, at 12:32 PM, Jared Updike wrote:

>> I don't think this commentary is really fair.  It's also insular
>> and bad for
>> the reputation of the Haskell community.  There are enough
>> barriers to
>> exploring FP and Haskell already.  The purpose of the article was to
>> encourage people to start taking baby steps toward FP, not to
>> demonstrate a
>> deep mastery of the subject.
>
> I feel (maybe others agree) delighted that someone so widely read
> begins to extoll the virtues of functional programming. I also feel
> (maybe others also agree) disappointed that this, and other such
> articles, fail to take the subject far enough, really showing what
> better programming languages can do. I supposed I should be happy; the
> long road to FP has to start somewhere, hopefully others will start
> down that road sooner rather than later.
>
>  Jared.

Reilly Hayes
rfh at reillyhayes.com