[Haskell-cafe] Re: Can Your Programming Language Do This?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Thu Aug 3 03:38:30 EDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 01:02:20PM -0700,
 Reilly Hayes <rfh at reillyhayes.com> wrote
 a message of 133 lines which said:

> My guess is that most of the people who participate on this list are
> in some sort of research center, where the value of academic
> research is a given.

As someone who does not work in a research center, and who tries to
use Haskell for practical problems, I can say that I have mixed
feelings about haskell-cafe:

1) My newbie questions always receive a timely answer, the answer is
correct and the tone of the reply is friendly without any sign of
patronization against the beginner. (Same thing on #haskell, so it is
a good opportunity to thank everybody.)

2) The typical discussion and the typical subjects are very far from
the ordinary programmer. If he or she reads the archives of the list
before commiting herself or himself to Haskell, he or she might be
scared.