[Haskell-cafe] Can Your Programming Language Do This?

Jared Updike jupdike at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 15:32:21 EDT 2006

> I don't think this commentary is really fair.  It's also insular and bad for
> the reputation of the Haskell community.  There are enough barriers to
> exploring FP and Haskell already.  The purpose of the article was to
> encourage people to start taking baby steps toward FP, not to demonstrate a
> deep mastery of the subject.

I feel (maybe others agree) delighted that someone so widely read
begins to extoll the virtues of functional programming. I also feel
(maybe others also agree) disappointed that this, and other such
articles, fail to take the subject far enough, really showing what
better programming languages can do. I supposed I should be happy; the
long road to FP has to start somewhere, hopefully others will start
down that road sooner rather than later.

  Jared.