[Haskell-cafe] Re: ocr'ed version of "The implementation offunctional languages"

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Mon Jan 31 05:22:39 EST 2005

"Simon Peyton-Jones" <simonpj at microsoft.com> writes:

> What would OCR buy us?  Searching, I guess, which is a fantastic
> plus.  Anything else?

- The ability to cut and paste passages into e.g. e-mail.
- Availability for text-only access - e.g. for the vision impaired, or
  people on low bandwidth connections.
- Possibility of re-typesetting it with e.g. LaTeX, to make
  nice-looking reprints on a laserprinter in your neighborhood.

Basically, making the text (and not just pictures of it) available
empowers its users in a general way -- not unlike publishing the
source code to e.g. GHC.  (I'm going to have to read it, just on
principle :-)

-kzm