[Haskell-cafe] Math libraries for Haskell

Sebastian Sylvan sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 14:57:01 EST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:41:28 +0100, Dmitri Pissarenko
<mailing-lists at dapissarenko.com> wrote:
> > Are you interested in seeing Haskell implementation of these
> > algorithms, or are you interested in using eignevalues in some Haskell
> > program?
>
> I am interested in using eigenvalues in a Haskell program.
>
> > This seems like a perfect candidate for using FFI if you're just
> > looking for fast eigenvalue computations (though you'll need to
> > write/find a C library to do it first).
>
> You mean that I have to write a program in C (or other language), which
> calculates the eigenvalues, and then let the C program co-operate with the
> Haskell program via FFI?

No you don't "have to" (see the other replies), it just seems to me
that these types of things is probably widely available already as C
libraries, and by simply interfacing to one of those you'll likely get
better speed (if that is indeed important to you) than just writing it
in Haskell directly.

--
Sebastian Sylvan
+46(0)736-818655