[Haskell-cafe] Joels Time Leak

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 08:20:41 EST 2005

Adrian,

There's no mistery here.

Threads take a while to unpickle the large server info packet when
the gang up on it all together. By adding the MVar you are basically
installing a door in front of the packet and only letting one thread
come through.

The end result is that you are pushing the timeout somewhere else as
threads spend a lot of time queued up and waiting to get through the
door.

It takes a fraction of a second for a thread to unpickle the server
info packet. It needs to make a FFI call to ZLib's uncompress and
that's a blocking call since it's marked unsafe. I think that happens
rather quickly otherwise alerts would be showing here. What takes
time is unpickling the packet after it's uncompressed.

Why does it take a fraction of a second for 1 thread to unpickle and
several seconds per thread for several threads to do it at the same
time? I think this is where the mistery lies.

	Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/