[Haskell-cafe] Joels Time Leak

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 08:18:42 EST 2005

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 01:02:45PM +0000, Adrian Hey wrote:
> I haven't followed everything that's happened on the Binary IO
> thread, but has anybody else actually tried Joels code? ..
>
>  http://wagerlabs.com/timeleak.tgz

I have and I am puzzled too.

> I can reproduce the problem (ghc/Linux), but can't explain it. It
> seems very strange that friggin about with an otherwise irrelevant
> (AFAICT) MVar fixes the problem.

Could be something with GHC's thread scheduler (is it fair?).
I have some ideas for workarounds, but I didn't get around
to trying them. For example, I think that unpickling too many
messages simultaneously put too much pressure on memory, cache and GC.

I don't really have the time to test my serialization libraries with
Joels code - mostly it's this unicode that scares me off (should it?).
Maybe I'll try to simplify things on my own.

Best regards
Tomasz