[Haskell-cafe] Joels Time Leak

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 08:23:10 EST 2005

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 01:20:41PM +0000, Joel Reymont wrote:
> Why does it take a fraction of a second for 1 thread to unpickle and
> several seconds per thread for several threads to do it at the same
> time? I think this is where the mistery lies.

Have you considered any of this:

- too big memory pressure: more memory means more frequent and more
  expensive GCs, 1000 threads using so much memory means bad cache
  performance
- a deficiency of GHC's thread scheduler - giving too much time one
  thread steals it from others (Simons, don't get angry at me - I am
  probably wrong here ;-)

Best regards
Tomasz