[Haskell-cafe] Haskell vs. Erlang for heavy-duty network apps

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 08:34:50 EST 2005

On Dec 25, 2005, at 1:14 PM, Tomasz Zielonka wrote:

> I think your work will be very important and valuable for the
> community.
> You've shown were Haskell could be better, and I believe it will catch
> up eventually, either by improvements in GHC, in libraries or simply
> in documentation.

Thank you Tomasz! I think eventually will come sooner than you
think :-).

On my TODO list for the next few weeks:

1) Set up a Haskell vs. Erlang heavily-multithreaded serialization
shootout
2) Work Simon M. to make sure Haskell is on par and try to hack GHC
to add whatever is needed
3) Add profiling support for STM to GHC (including retainer profiling)
4) Adapt the Zipper FileServer OS to #1. See if single-threading with
delimited continuations is better than multi-threading with unbound
threads.
5) If #4 is a yes then investigate why

And of course I will blog about the whole thing as I go along.

	Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/