[Haskell-cafe] Re: Tutorial uploaded

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Fri Dec 23 12:30:34 EST 2005

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> so, i think, it is needed to "reassure" imperative programmers at
> first pages by demonstrating techiques of imperative programming,
> including conditional execution and IORef/MArray and only after that
> present more convenient alternatives. at least for my imperative feel,
> conditional execution, cycles, modifiable variables and arrays
> together form enough basis to implement any algorithm

It's weird how many different perspectives there are on what's
basic Haskell.

Someone asks about mapM, and everyone agrees about that - it's
definitely on the short list of things we want to know - but then
we go on to liftM, which I've always thought was kind of a gratuitous
extra way to spell >>=.

We get to IO, and of course everyone agrees that it's on the short
list (even if we differ on when to get to it), but -- IORef?  Can't
tell if you're serious.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com