[Haskell-cafe] Re: Tutorial uploaded

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Fri Dec 23 13:10:52 EST 2005

Hello Donn,

>> so, i think, it is needed to "reassure" imperative programmers at
>> first pages by demonstrating techiques of imperative programming,
>> including conditional execution and IORef/MArray and only after that
>> present more convenient alternatives. at least for my imperative feel,
>> conditional execution, cycles, modifiable variables and arrays
>> together form enough basis to implement any algorithm

DC> We get to IO, and of course everyone agrees that it's on the short
DC> list (even if we differ on when to get to it), but -- IORef?  Can't
DC> tell if you're serious.

yes, i know that this viewpoint is extreme. but i said not about my
current thoughts, but about my history of "buying" Haskell. i first
found it in 2003, mastered all the "gentle introduction" except for
monads and rejected. the second try in 2004 was more successfull. so i
will repeat my point - i as imperative programmer need to "feel basis"
and to know that in worst case i can write imperatively parts of
program which don't fit in pure style. this not requires full
explanation, just mentioning and may be examples (although these
examples will sjow weakness of imperative Haskell facilities)

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com