[Haskell-cafe] Re: Tutorial uploaded

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Thu Dec 22 17:45:33 EST 2005

Hello John,

Thursday, December 22, 2005, 3:48:37 AM, you wrote:

JM> You can't not start with IO for people who already know how to program,
JM> if you are teaching someone programming for the very first time then
JM> starting with the pure functional side is fine. But for people that
JM> already know how to program, they are constantly thinking of everything
JM> else they have written and how they might do it in the language they are
JM> currently learning comparing and contrasting in their head. They need to
JM> have the tools to replicate what they have done with other languages
JM> right away, they don't want to know how to do the examples given in the
JM> book except insofar as they let them understand how to write the
JM> examples wiggling around in their head.

yes, it's just about me :)  first i time i tried to learn Haskell
(afair, it was advertized on bzip2 page), i decided that it need to
write everything as a pure function and found monad concept very
complex (afair, "gentle introduction" emphasizes that monads are very
complex things!). next time i tried to learn Haskell, my main question
was "is it possible to use imperative style of controlling program
action?". i recognized functional power of language and it was the
last barrier to really use it

so, i think, it is needed to "reassure" imperative programmers at
first pages by demonstrating techiques of imperative programming,
including conditional execution and IORef/MArray and only after that
present more convenient alternatives. at least for my imperative feel,
conditional execution, cycles, modifiable variables and arrays
together form enough basis to implement any algorithm

Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com