ANNOUNCE: Learning Haskell portal, version 0.1

Jerzy Karczmarczuk karczma@info.unicaen.fr
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:06:53 +0100

Arjan van IJzendoorn wrote:

> Often we see messages from people who want to learn Haskell (something we
> applaud), but don't know where to begin.

> Enough talk: http://www.cs.uu.nl/~afie/haskell/LearningHaskell.html

Thanks, Arjan, nice work.
I would add some significant papers, such as John Hughes'
"Why functional programming matters", etc.

and perhaps - for some, a little bit advanced readers - some
other papers, introducing type classes, perhaps monads (Wadler)
etc. Everything can be found through the Home of Haskell, but
gathering essential references on your page would shorten the
search path.

I believe - from some discussions here and on comp.lang.functional
(some of them quite annoying...) that it would perhaps be a good
idea to put down a relatively comprehensive, easy comparison
between Haskell and other languages, notably functional: Clean,
also: Scheme, absolutely: ML variants, and Erlang.
Such questions are, and will continue to be recurring.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk