Global variables?

Andrew J Bromage ajb@spamcop.net
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 09:53:07 +1100

G'day.

On 05-Feb-2003, Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj@microsoft.com> wrote:

> > H98 has nothing to say about the separate compilation; it's an issue for
> > the implementation.

H98 indeed says nothing about separate compilation, and it is indeed
an issue for the implementation.

What H98 does is it defines a language for which separate compilation
is at best extremely difficult and at worst virtually impossible
without extra information which is not part of H98 (such as GHC's
hi-boot files).

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 07:41:52PM +1100, Fergus Henderson wrote:

> In other words, GHC doesn't support separate compilation of
> Haskell 98 -- it supports separate compilation of a closely related
> but distinct language which we can call "Haskell 98 + GHC hi-boot files".

Exactly.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage