separate compilation [was Re: Global variables?]

Iavor S. Diatchki diatchki@cse.ogi.edu
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 16:16:33 -0800

hello,

Andrew J Bromage wrote:
> What H98 does is it defines a language for which separate compilation
> is at best extremely difficult and at worst virtually impossible
> without extra information which is not part of H98 (such as GHC's
> hi-boot files).

why do you think separate compilation is difficult to achieve in Haskell
98?  as simon pointed out, GHC does it and has been doing it for a long
time.  dealing with mutually recusrive modules is i think a separate
issue.  even though GHC doesn't quite do it, it is certainly possible,
and not very difficult to do.  in fact we have it implemented in one of
the projects i am currently working on. hopefully one day GHC will also
dispense with the hi-boot files.

bye
iavor
| Iavor S. Diatchki, Ph.D. student               |
| Department of Computer Science and Engineering |
| School of OGI at OHSU                          |
| http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~diatchki               |