Ground Up

Max Kirillov max630@mail.ru
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 03:10:29 +0600

Hi!

I'm far not an expert in Haskell, but I'll venture to say
"I'm in". I'm not an CS student and I have never been (I
learned Solid State Physics). I became there in about 6
months without paying a cent.  Well, I paid for dialup. I
also spent a lot of time. My wife should hate Haskell.

I would recommend you not to be confined by Haskell. Take a
look at Lisp, ML. First, it helps to get into concepts
rather than into details of syntax parsing of high-order
polymorphism. I began learning FP with Erlang, and I think
it helped me.

Further, Haskell, though _very_ nice, is probably not "the
best choice" for a "pragmatic programming". It is too alive.
Different compilers are not 100% compatible each to other,
and even different versions of the same compilers may be
incompatible. You should be ready either to stick yourself
and your co-wokers to a certain version of the compiler or
to spend some significal time to keep you programs working
with any compiler.

Maybe you will find that it's better to use Ocaml or
Scheme. Thay have own neats, and seem to be more stable.

Max.