[GUI] GUI meeting at ICFP?

Axel Simon A.Simon@kent.ac.uk
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 08:47:39 +0100

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 02:09:37PM +0200, Daan Leijen wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> As you may know, the ICFP conference and Haskell workshop
> are held at the end of August in Uppsala, Sweden. I don't
> know how many of you will attend, but maybe we can organise
> a (small) meeting of people interested in GUI's over there
> and talk about the future of GUI's in Haskell. Maybe even
> as part of the Haskell workshop?

Daan,

there is indeed the intention of discussing future GUI
development for Haskell. Apologies that this is not more
widely known. There will be a discussion at the end of the
Haskell Workshop (the Future of Haskell discussion) and on
Friday during the Haskell implementors meeting. I am there
for more discussions on Saturday. I think Wolfgang Thaller
is coming, I am not sure about David Sands (it's a long way
for him).

For me the creation of a Common GUI API is still a goal,
despite the fact that the discussion went quiet during the
last months (due to high work load and motivation, at least
on my side). In hintsight this was a very negative
development as it encouraged people to follow their own
convictions and implement their ideas in the hope that their
approach is adopted by the masses.

I hope we will find some form of consensus. Probably not yet
on an API but on how to proceed. I thought we reached that
consensus in April when I gave a resumee on what the CGA is
all about. The proposal was in turn based on the voices here
on the mailing list.

In will try to propose some API to create application
windows which complies to the CGA goals. This could give
more food for further discussions and the viability of the
CGA approach.

I do indeed look forward to meet anybody interested in GUIs
and Haskell in Uppsala/Stockholm.

I'll see you there, Daan!

Cheers,
Axel.