Open up the issues tracker on ghc-proposals

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu May 3 07:45:18 UTC 2018

I can volunteer to at least scrape together all the objections to ScopedTypeVariables as currently. It's not yet a proposal, so not on github. Start a wiki page? A cafe thread? (It'll get lost.) A ghc-users thread? (It'll get ignored.)

That’s a fair question.  We have lots of forums, but your point is that certain sorts of discussions never get going with the right audience – you especially point to “confused beginners”.

I don’t know how to engage that audience effectively, and by definition I’m the wrong person even to have a well-informed view.   It’s quite a challenge because beginners tend not to be vocal, and yet they are a crucial set of Haskell users.  Every Haskell user started as a beginner.

The title of this thread, “Open up the issues tracker on ghc-proposals”, identifies a solution rather than a problem.  Perhaps a constructive place to start would be to articulate the challenge directly, in a new thread, and invite input from others about whether it’s a problem they encounter, and what possible solutions might be?

Thanks!

Simon