Rethinking GHC's approach to managing proposals

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Mon Jul 11 13:40:10 UTC 2016

Apostolos Syropoulos via Glasgow-haskell-users
<glasgow-haskell-users at haskell.org> writes:

>  >Recently there has been a fair bit of discussion[1,2] around the
>>mechanisms by which proposed changes to GHC are evaluated. While we have
>>something of a formal proposal protocol [3], it is not clearly
>>documented, inconsistently applied, and may be failing to serve a
>>significant fraction of GHC's potential contributor pool.
>
> I think the best thing to do is to fork the source code and modify it according
> to one's own needs. Having some sort of committees to decide about the
> syntax, etc. is a really bad idea.

The point here is not to place a committee in charge of designing
features. To the contrary, the point of this proposal is to revamp our
protocol for handling proposals brought by others. The committee
merely serves as a gatekeeper to ensure that GHC's design and
implementation remains coherent and maintainable and its semantics
well-defined.

Cheers,

- Ben