GHC 7.4.2 on Ubuntu Trusty

Yuras Shumovich shumovichy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 11:21:20 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-10-22 at 13:48 +0300, Yitzchak Gale wrote:
> In order support some older software that we released, we need
> to get a working GHC 7.4.2 on Ubuntu Trusty. We currently have
> GHC 7.8.3.
>
> The binary tarball for GHC 7.4.2 does not install on Trusty due to
> multiple incompatibilities. For example, GHC requires GMP 3, but
> Trusty only provides GMP >= 4. Etc.

You can try to make a symlink from libgmp.so.10 to libgmp.so.3 AFAIK ghc
doesn't use anything specific to new gmp. Then you can recompile with
ghc from sources and link it with gmp10.

Also precise provides both gmp3 and gmp10, so you can bootstrap on
precise using 7.4.2/gmp3 to get 7.4.2/gmp10 binary.