GHC 7.4.2 on Ubuntu Trusty

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Wed Oct 22 12:50:18 UTC 2014

I wrote:
>> How do I get a working GHC 7.4.2 on Trusty?

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Daniel Trstenjak wrote, off-list:
> I can only recommend: https://launchpad.net/~hvr/+archive/ubuntu/ghc

Thanks Daniel! I hadn't looked at Herbert's ppa for a while. Despite
the comments, which say it is only updated for precise but should
also work for trusty, the ppa actually *is* updated for trusty now.

This is trivially simple to use and worked great, so that's what I
ended up using.

But still - something really really needs to be done about GHC
portability. This thread makes it clear what a mess
we have inherited from the days when GHC was primarily a
research compiler. Let's face it - GHC is now also a serious
production compiler, and this urgently needs to be cleaned up.

Thanks,
Yitz