How do I build GHC 7.6 from source?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 16:20:34 CEST 2012

On 19/09/2012 02:15, Iavor Diatchki wrote:

>   > exactly what git's submodule machinery does, so it seems pointless to
>
>      > implement the functionality which is already there with a standard
>      > interface.  Thoughts?
>
>     http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/DarcsConversion#Theperspectiveonsubmodules
>

> I have seen this.  Our custom "fingerprint" solution has the exact same
> drawbacks (because it does the exact same thing as sub-modules), and in
> addition it has the drawback of
>    1. being a custom non-standard solution,
>    2. it is not obvious where to find the "fingerprint" associated with
> a particular branch (which is what lead to my question in the first place).

Well, it doesn't quite have the same drawbacks as submodules, because
our solution places a burden only on someone who wants to recover a
particular repository state, rather than on everyone doing development.

I think it's worth keeping an eye on submodules in case they fix the
gotchas in the UI, but at the moment it looks like we'd have a lot of
confused developers, lost work and accidental breakages due to people
not understanding how submodules work or forgetting to jump through the
correct hoops.

I'm not saying fingerprints are a good solution, obviously they only
solve a part of the problem, but the current tooling for submodules
leaves a lot to be desired.