How do I build GHC 7.6 from source?

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 03:15:33 CEST 2012

Hello,

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Ian Lynagh <ian at well-typed.com> wrote:

> Why do you want to build 7.6 but not 7.6.1, OOI?
>
>  I was trying to build a different branch which is a fork of 7.6---I
wanted to play around with the profiling suite described in the "Core
Diving" talk from the Haskell Implementors workshop.

> More generally, I run into this problem all the time with people trying to
> > build the branch I work on, so it really would be nice if we started
> using
> > sub-modules to keep track of this dependency.  I talked to folks at ICFP
> > about this, and one idea was that we could check in the "fingerprint"
> for a
> > branch into the repo, and track the dependencies this way, but this is
>
> See
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/GettingTheSources#Trackingthefullrepositorystate
>
> The nightly build logs include a fingerprint.

Where are the nightly build logs?

 > exactly what git's submodule machinery does, so it seems pointless to

> > implement the functionality which is already there with a standard
> > interface.  Thoughts?
>

> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/DarcsConversion#Theperspectiveonsubmodules

I have seen this.  Our custom "fingerprint" solution has the exact same
drawbacks (because it does the exact same thing as sub-modules), and in
addition it has the drawback of
  1. being a custom non-standard solution,
  2. it is not obvious where to find the "fingerprint" associated with a
particular branch (which is what lead to my question in the first place).

-Iavor