Weird failure of ghc-7.0.2 on OS X 10.5 using the bindist tarball

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 11 19:39:54 CET 2011

I installed ghc (x86) from the bindist tarball like so:

$ wget http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/7.0.2/ghc-7.0.2-i386-apple-darwin.tar.bz2
$ tar -xjf ghc-7.0.2-i386-apple-darwin.tar.bz2
$ cd ghc-7.0.2-i386-apple-darwin
$ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/local
$ make install

$ ghc --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 7.0.2

GHCi works fine:

$ ghc -e 3+4
7

However, if I want to compile a test file I get a weird dtrace error.

$ cat test.hs
main = print 42

$ ghc --make test.hs
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( test.hs, test.o )
Linking test ...
error: Could not compile reconstructed dtrace script:

Unhandled typedefs encoding version v2
provider HaskellEvent {
	probe thread_wakeup(EventCapNo,EventThreadID,EventCapNo);
	probe thread__runnable(EventCapNo,EventThreadID);
	probe migrate__thread(EventCapNo,EventThreadID,EventCapNo);
	probe create__thread(EventCapNo,EventThreadID);
	probe gc__work(EventCapNo);
	probe gc(int, double, long,...)(EventCapNo);
	probe gc__done(EventCapNo);
	probe gc__start(EventCapNo);
	probe gc__end(EventCapNo);
	probe stop__thread(EventCapNo,EventThreadID,EventThreadStatus);
	probe run__thread(EventCapNo,EventThreadID);
	probe startup(EventCapNo);
	probe user__msg(EventCapNo,char *);
};

#pragma D attributes PRIVATE/PRIVATE/UNKNOWN provider HaskellEvent provider
#pragma D attributes PRIVATE/PRIVATE/UNKNOWN provider HaskellEvent module
#pragma D attributes PRIVATE/PRIVATE/UNKNOWN provider HaskellEvent function
#pragma D attributes PRIVATE/PRIVATE/UNKNOWN provider HaskellEvent name
#pragma D attributes PRIVATE/PRIVATE/UNKNOWN provider HaskellEvent args

ld: error creating dtrace DOF section
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

$ uname -mrsv
Darwin 9.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0: Wed Jul 15 16:55:01 PDT
2009; root:xnu-1228.15.4~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Any idea what's going on there?

/ Thomas
--
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.