Removing/deprecating -fvia-c

scooter.phd at gmail.com scooter.phd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 22:26:08 EST 2010

It seems to me, in the absence of any other fallback, that the C backend should stay around. Assume that one is porting to a new platform, the C backend at least gives one code from which to bootstrap.

Calling convention handling: weak argument IMHO for ditching. Sounds like refactoring is required, and, yes, it's platform-specific.

Perl script postprocessing foo: I haven't looked at the code, but again, it sounds like platform-specific refactoring. Yes, I've looked at the web page.

There's a reason why backends are messy goo and have target triples, etc. It's like Monad: not everything is pure.

My vote is to keep the C backend. If it's good enough for LLVM, it's probably good enough for GHC.

-scooter