ANNOUNCE: GHC 6.10.1 beta

Judah Jacobson judah.jacobson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 14:06:06 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 3:09 AM, Christian Maeder
<Christian.Maeder at dfki.de> wrote:
> Hi Judah,
>
> libedit is simply missing. but ghci used to work with readline! Do I
> need to install i.e.
> http://www.thrysoee.dk/editline/libedit-20080712-2.11.tar.gz
> as a static library in order to create code depending on libedit that
> can be run on machines without libedit? (This reminds me to the gmp and
> readline whims on Macs.)

Sure, if you're talking about a program that does user interaction
with the libedit library, then I suppose so.  But I don't expect this
to cause many problems in practice, since
 - Programs compiled with ghc don't need libedit to run unless they
explicitly depend on the editline package, and
 - There's nothing stopping you from writing and distributing programs
that depend on readline instead; just install the readline package
from Hackage.

-Judah