Windows build failure

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Wed Sep 10 07:16:52 EDT 2008

>For reference, I'm using cygwin bash+mingw gcc on Windows XP, following
>your instructions as closely as possible - but with the latest version
>of cygwin and mingw.

Then I'm really surprised to see you having so much trouble. Unless you've
accidentally installed parts of the cygwin gcc chain (or cygwin's --no-cygwin
mingw variant), that would mean issues in the latest mingw versions. Perhaps
going back to an older mingw is easier than working around those issues?

>The biggest niggle for me currently is the lack of the GHC API, which is
>built in stage2, but not transferred across to the bindist.

Sat Sep  6 15:25:46 GMT Daylight Time 2008  Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li>
  * Install the stage 2 ghc package when installing; fixes trac #2567

    M ./compiler/Makefile -2 +1
    M ./compiler/ghc.cabal -1 +1
    M ./libraries/Makefile -31
    M ./mk/cabal-flags.mk +34

>there seem to be lots of little things that will require fixing before
>the Windows version is ready for release.

Yes, but since 'make binary-dist' is working again, we can at least
start reporting those little things (though Ian sometimes insists on
seeing a trac ticket first rather than a mere email, as in the ghc
package case;-).

>My new home computer will almost certainly be Vista, so I guess I'm
>in for a world of fun then :-)

Vista has been around for a while, and as you get the issues with XP
and new mingw, trying out older mingw might still work on Vista
(sometimes a new broom adds new issues before working properly).

Claus