More detail on breakage with ghc-6.10

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 11 03:36:22 EDT 2008

All,

We've been using the cabal-install build reporting stuff to get more
detailed info on build failures with ghc-6.10 vs 6.8. cabal-install
generates these build-reports.log files and individual log files for
each build.

Below is a list of packages that worked with 6.8 and fail with 6.10. If
your package is on this list then you might like to take a look at the
actual failure. I've posted the logs here:
http://haskell.org/~duncan/ghc/hackage-failures-ghc-6.10/

There's one set for ghc-6.8 and one for 6.10.

We can get quite a bit of info from these build-reports.log files just
using grep, sort, uniq etc. However we also have a parser for it so we
can write more interesting queries. For example, we're interested in
regressions:

reports68  <- fmap parseList (readFile "ghc-6.8/build-reports.log")
reports610 <- fmap parseList (readFile "ghc-6.10/build-reports.log")
let merged = mergeBy (comparing package)
                     (sortBy (comparing package) reports68)
                     (sortBy (comparing package) reports610)
    worked InstallOk = True
    worked _         = False
    failed InstallOk = False
    failed (DependencyFailed _) = False
    failed _         = True
    regressions = [ new
                  | InBoth old new <- merged
                  , worked (installOutcome old)
                 && failed (installOutcome new) ]
print (length regressions)
mapM_ (putStrLn . display . package) regressions

There are 58 in this list. Though some have been since fixed and it
doesn't count packages that fail due to dependencies failing. Here's our
current list. I've pruned a couple that I know have been fixed.

ArrayRef-0.1.2
CLASE-2008.9.23.2
EdisonCore-1.2.1.2
HPDF-1.4