Can't compile GHC 6.8.2

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 07:19:18 EST 2008

Barney Stratford wrote:
> I'm trying to compile GHC 6.8.2 using my existing GHC 6.2, but the
> typechecker refuses to compile. The problem seems to be that the hi-boot
> files in compiler/typecheck contain some incorrect type signatures. I've
> fixed most of them, but TcMatches.hi-boot-6 has slightly stumped me. As
> it stands, it says
>
> tcMatchesFun :: Name.Name
> 	     -> HsExpr.MatchGroup Name.Name
> 	     -> TcType.BoxyRhoType
> 	     -> TcRnTypes.TcM (HsBinds.HsWrapper, HsExpr.MatchGroup TcRnTypes.TcId)
>
> but it should say something like
>
> tcMatchesFun :: Name.Name -> Bool
> 	     -> HsExpr.MatchGroup Name.Name
> 	     -> TcType.BoxyRhoType
> 	     -> TcRnTypes.TcM (HsBinds.HsWrapper, HsExpr.MatchGroup TcRnTypes.TcId)
>
> Unfortunately, that doesn't work, as it assumes I meant TcMatches.Bool,
> so I tried saying Prelude.Bool instead. Now I get the complaint that
> Prelude.Bool isn't in scope.
>
> Has anyone else seen this issue? I've looked for answers in the docs and
> with Google, but no luck.

I think we only supported using GHC 6.4 for building 6.8.  Using 6.2 might
be possible, but no guarantees.

To answer your question above, you probably want GHC.Base.Bool (hi-boot
files used to need "original names", that is, the module that originally
defined a thing, which might be different from the module you normally get
it from).