Unicode's greek lambda

Arnar Birgisson arnarbi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 10:21:12 EST 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 18:56, Colin Adams
<colinpauladams at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Another problem is font support.. none of the fonts on my
>> system (and I have quite a lot) have these codepoints defined.
>
> David> That seems surprising. Some of the more exotic math characters added at
> Unicode 3.2,4,5 are only just now getting into fonts (such as STIX and
> Cambria math) but (almost) any truetype or type1 font built in the last
> 10 years or so should have the basic latin-greek-cyrillic font set, at
> least.

To clarify - most of modern fonts do in deed have latin-greek-cyrillic
(including the U+03BB lambda), but I was referring to the specific
math symbols such as the U+1D6CC bold lam(b)da, which reside in the
Supplementary Multilingual Plane (SMP). Those are indeed not present
in my fonts, including Lucida Math and Adobe Mathematical Pi).

cheers,
Arnar