Unicode's greek lambda

Colin Adams colinpauladams at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 20 12:56:41 EST 2008

I thought it was worth asking David Carlisle about this. Here is his reply:

Colin> I thought I would draw this complaint to your attention, since I think
> you are probably responsible for getting many of these symbols into
> Unicode in the first place.

David>I had no part in not lam(b)da:-) that's been there since the beginning
for greek text not for mathematics. Unicode know that their spelling is
eccentric (and even have a comment to that effect somewhere as I recall)
but the overriding rule is they never change the mames once assigned.

> Another problem is font support.. none of the fonts on my
> system (and I have quite a lot) have these codepoints defined.

David> That seems surprising. Some of the more exotic math characters added at
Unicode 3.2,4,5 are only just now getting into fonts (such as STIX and
Cambria math) but (almost) any truetype or type1 font built in the last
10 years or so should have the basic latin-greek-cyrillic font set, at
least.

David>Whether or not the editor that you are using knows about anything other
than ascii and can actually use the font is another matter of course.