Unicode's greek lambda

Colin Paul Adams colin at colina.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 22 12:12:32 EST 2008

    Arnar> To clarify - most of modern fonts do in deed have
    Arnar> latin-greek-cyrillic (including the U+03BB lambda), but I
    Arnar> was referring to the specific math symbols such as the
    Arnar> U+1D6CC bold lam(b)da, which reside in the Supplementary
    Arnar> Multilingual Plane (SMP). Those are indeed not present in
    Arnar> my fonts, including Lucida Math and Adobe Mathematical Pi).

I tackled David Carlisle about this too:

David> On windows there's cambria math (unfortunately with a restrictive
licence that restricts it to that platform, though you can get it for
free by getting (for example) the free powerpoint viewer from microsoft)

for a free font with a full range of characters best bet is stix font
which has been 10 years in the making and is currently between beta and
full release (but late again) the stix site removed the fonts after the
beata test but you can get them from mozilla, and you need them if
reading mathml in FF3.

http://www.stixfonts.org/
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/fonts/

Colin > echo $(uc 1D6cc) - doesn't print anything recognizable

David> That would require not only fonts with glyphs in that slot but also that
the software (xterm here) understands plane 1 not just the 16bit unicode
2 support. I don't know whether xterm does or not.

I downloaded the fonts, but xterm still doesn't display the character
concerned. Nor does Firefox, although I haven't tried it with MathML yet.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire