GHC build failures on Mac OS X Leopard: ppc & x86

Sean Leather leather at cs.uu.nl
Mon Feb 18 13:35:05 EST 2008

Hi,

Manuel M T Chakravarty:
> I can't help you with the PPC, but on the MacBook try building with
>
>    make EXTRA_AR_ARGS=-s
>
> It's a known bug with Cabal.

Thanks, Manuel, it builds now.

Afterwards, I ran 'make' in 'testsuite/tests/ghc-regress' and got this:

OVERALL SUMMARY for test run started at Mon Feb 18 17:55:20 CET 2008
    2084 total tests, which gave rise to
   10640 test cases, of which
       0 caused framework failures
    2160 were skipped

    7487 expected passes
     372 expected failures
       0 unexpected passes
     621 unexpected failures

That seems like a large number of unexpected failures; however, I
haven't seen a summary from a build of Mac OS X on x86, so I don't
know what to expect.

At a glance, many of the failures refer to ghci (at least that's what
I assume the "(ghci)" next to the name means). Here is a sample:

=====> user001(ghci)
cd ../../../libraries/unix/tests &&
'/Users/leather/Projects/ghc-stable/ghc/compiler/stage1/ghc-inplace'
-no-recomp -dcore-lint -dcmm-lint -Di386_apple_darwin  user001.hs
--interactive -v0 -ignore-dot-ghci -package unix  <user001.genscript
1>user001.interp.stdout 2>user001.interp.stderr
Wrong exit code (expected 0 , actual 1 )
Stdout:

Stderr:

*** unexpected failure for user001(ghci)

Is this reasonable? In other words, is something broken? Another thing
I need to tweak, perhaps?

Thanks,
Sean