import prefers module in package over local module

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Wed May 3 11:59:52 EDT 2006

On 03 May 2006 13:27, Michael Marte wrote:

> Simon Marlow wrote:
>
>> Tomasz Zielonka wrote:

>>> There is a Pretty module in the text package. It seems that Michael
>>> uses "ghc -package text".
>>

>> Ok (text package is deprecated, of course).  But still it seems to
>> work for me: GHC 6.4.1 and later find the local Pretty before the
>> text package one.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>     Simon
>
> In fact, I use -package text.
> But how come that this package is deprecated? There is a lot of stuff
> in it. Moreover, I never got a warning that it is deprecated. In
> contrast, I am being told that I should replace 'import Html' by
> 'import Text.Html', e.g.

Deprecation warnings seem to be working fine:

$ ghc -c Foo.hs -package text

Foo.hs:2:0:
    Warning: Module `Pretty' is deprecated:
                 This module has moved to Text.PrettyPrint.HughesPJ

Also, the documentation for the text package clearly states in several
places that the modules it contains are deprecated.

> As to the fact, that you cannot reproduce my problem, two explanations
> come to mind: Either the Debian package does not really contain 6.4.1
> or the problem arises from my specific combination of parameters,
> which I do not have at hand right now, unfortunately.

Ok, if you encounter the problem again in the future, please save the
details and send them to us.