import prefers module in package over local module

Michael Marte marte at pms.informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Wed May 3 08:27:12 EDT 2006

Simon Marlow wrote:

> Tomasz Zielonka wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 11:53:19AM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
>>
>>> I'm afraid I don't understand: there's no Pretty module in the
>>> standard libraries, only Text.PrettyPrint.
>>

>> There is a Pretty module in the text package. It seems that Michael uses
>> "ghc -package text".
>

> Ok (text package is deprecated, of course).  But still it seems to
> work for me: GHC 6.4.1 and later find the local Pretty before the text
> package one.
>
> Cheers,
>     Simon

In fact, I use -package text.
But how come that this package is deprecated? There is a lot of stuff in
it. Moreover, I never got a warning that it is deprecated. In contrast,
I am being told that I should replace 'import Html' by 'import
Text.Html', e.g.

As to the fact, that you cannot reproduce my problem, two explanations
come to mind: Either the Debian package does not really contain 6.4.1 or
the problem arises from my specific combination of parameters, which I
do not have at hand right now, unfortunately.

Michael