Compile problem on Windows

Esa Ilari Vuokko eivuokko at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 12:26:59 EDT 2006

On 7/14/06, Robert Dockins <robdockins at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> I posted a message on the libraries list a couple of days ago about a
> compile problem I'm having.  I haven't got any nibbles.  Because I

Sorry, it slipped past me.  The reason nobody reacted might also be
that it's not really ghc's problem, but problem in mingw/winapi headers
which ghc just drags along.

> now suspect this is a GHC problem, I'm posting here to see it I can
> get this resolved.  Rather than repost the details, allow me to refer
> you to (http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.libraries/

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.libraries/4873
(hopefulyl it's on one line in my mail)

> 4873) which contains a complete description of the problem.  As far
> as I can tell, the GHC install is missing a necessary system header,
> or it isn't being found, or somesuch.  I tried crawling through the
> headers to find out what the problem is, but, as per usual, the
> system headers are almost totally incomprehensible.

I'm just guessing here, but reading the sql.h and sqltypes.h it seems
likely to me that you should include windows.h before including them.
If it is so, it very likely is not a bug in ghc or winapi-package from mingw,
but intentional.  Fix would be to add #include "windows.h" in the .hsc file.

> I've tried using both Cygwin and MSYS shells, but the results are
> identical.  As I said in the above message, I'm not very familiar
> with this environment, so I'd appreciate pointers in the correct
> direction if I've made some mistake.

In generla, using cygwin shell with cabal and/or packages with configure
and using non-cygwin-ghc (cygwin port of ghc isn't maintained or built)
can lead to wierd problems.  Msys sometimes works, sometimes doesn't,
depending how aware packages are ghc's and msys' mingws' paths.

HTH,
--Esa