Packages in GHC 6.6

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Aug 24 06:40:55 EDT 2006

On 24 August 2006 11:20, Henning Thielemann wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Simon Marlow wrote:
>
>>  - A source tree can optionally be populated with more packages,
>>    which will be included in the build as normal.  At the moment,
>>    the only packages you can add in this way are:
>>
>>      ALUT, HGL, HUnit, OpenAL, OpenGL, QuickCheck, X11, cgi,
>>      fgl, haskell-src, html, mtl, network, parsec, time, xhtml
>>
>>    because we're still using GHC's build system to build packages
>>    rather than Cabal.  When we switch to using Cabal to build
>>    packages inside a GHC build, then it will be possible to populate
>>    the tree with any Cabal package.
>>
>>    Possibly we could also distribution an "extra libs" source
>>    bundle containing these packages.
>
> Just a question: Will it still be possible to have an Haddock index of
> _all_ installed libraries without hassle? I know haddock supports
> this, but how easy will it be to achieve that?

Since the distributions we build with the nightly builds will have all
the libraries, the Haddock docs in the distributions we ship will have
complete integrated indices.

This means that making a minimal distribution in a build tree that has
everything is not just a matter of removing stuff, also the Haddock
index must be rebuilt, and the package database needs to have the extra
packages removed too.  Thanks for reminding me about this!  I'm not sure
we'll ship minimal binary installers for 6.6 yet, it depends whether we
get to it before the release date.