GC behaviour in GHC

Andrew Cheadle amc4 at doc.ic.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 14:54:22 EST 2004

Nivia,

Don has mentioned most of the documentation about GC work in GHC except
for:

Generational garbage collection for Haskell -  Sansom, Peyton Jones
	http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/sansom93generational.html

There isn't really a paper on the performance of GHC's current
generational / compacting collector. I do have one in progress
which relates to further work I've been doing on the implementation of
the incremental collector. (The incremental collector is not
currently available in a GHC release).

If you have specific questions feel free to ask and I'll try to answer
the to my best ability.

What kind of applications are you working with that make them time
critical - Do you want to increase user responsiveness and reduce pause
times or have the programs run as fast as possible?

I'm assuming you want the latter. Have you tried playing with GHC's
various tunable GC parameters?

Cheers

Andy