turn off let floating

Bernard James POPE bjpop at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sat Apr 10 17:49:42 EDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 03:27:01PM +0200, David Sabel wrote:

> you can turn off let-floating by compiling without optimizations,
> i.e. without using a -O flag or using -O0 explicitly.
> The disadvantage is that most of all other optimizations
> are turned off too.

That is exactly what I'm doing at the moment. The module that has the
nasty impure bits in it is not compiled with optimisations.
I will improve this when GHC regains the non-let floating flag.

> Another possibility would be to compile your program with HasFuse
>
> http://www.ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/~sabel/hasfuse/
>
> which is a modification of GHC, that performs only such transformations
> that are compatible with the use of unsafePerformIO.
> (no common subexpression elimination,
>  no let-floating out,
>  more restrictive inlining)

That is a possibility, but the code is part of buddha, my debugger.
I would have to require the user of buddha also to have HasFuse.

Cheers,
Bernie.