MacOS X (10.2.2) standalone ghc app

Wolfgang Thaller wolfgang.thaller@gmx.net
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 01:22:42 +0100

Reto Kramer wrote:

> I'm trying to deliver a self contained app that I developed with ghc
> 5.04.1 on Mac OS X (10.2.2). It all works well if ghc is installed on
> the machine, but on a user-machine w/o ghc, the following file is
> needed:
>
> HaskellSupport.framework/Versions/A/HaskellSupport

Yes. It's briefly mentioned in the README that you saw in the installer
:-)

> Could someone explain why this is needed on OSX?  It seems OS
> specific, for I don't have any of these issues on Windows and Linux.

The HaskellSupport.framework contains two required support libraries,
libgmp and dlcompat. Libgmp is distributed under the GNU Lesser General
Public License (LGPL), which means that statically linking to it places
special requirements on your program. Therefore static linking is not
really an option in this case. I've packaged the two required libraries
as one "framework" because that's easier to install for end-users than
unix-style dynamic libraries.

Programs compiled using GHC for Linux just expect libgmp to be
installed (which is often the case on Linux). On Windows, libgmp is
statically linked, which means that you should at least read the LGPL
before distributing your program.

> Any hint about how to do the linking statically on OSX would be
> greatly appreciated.

Just don't. Instead, read section 6 of the LGPL (somewhere at
www.gnu.org) for the complete list of conditions you would have to
fulfill, and then think about how easy and convenient dynamic linking
is :-).

Happy New Year,

Wolfgang