[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal #601: extension lifecycle

Simon Peyton Jones simon.peytonjones at gmail.com
Thu May 16 08:27:20 UTC 2024

Dear GHC Steering Committee

Trevis Elser has submitted GHC Proposal #601
<https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/601>to us for
consideration.  (It was originally drafted by David Christiansen, but
Trevis took it over.)

It proposes that that we classify extensions into four categories:

   - Stable
   - Experimental
   - Deprecated
   - Legacy

It does not say which extensions are in which category (that's #635, still
to come); it simply establishes the categories.

*I strongly urge you to accept the proposal*. We have been using this
language informally for years, and it's good to nail it down more precisely.

There is plenty of discussion on the PR, but it's all about the specifics
(e.g. do we want both Deprecated and Legacy; answer, yes).  There seems to
be a strong consensus around the principle.

I don't expect this to be controversial. Please (everyone) can you respond
within a week, by *end of day on Thursday 23 May.   *Can you

   - Reply by email
   - Update the spreadsheet
   <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e6GdwHmAjeDEUhTvP-b18MDkpTfH3SMHhFu5F3nDIWc/edit?usp=sharing>with
   your vote