[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal #601: extension lifecycle

Adam Gundry adam at well-typed.com
Thu May 16 09:08:29 UTC 2024

I'm in favour. (And I'm willing to work on the necessary follow-up
proposal to apply the categorisation to specific extensions.)

Cheers,

Adam

On 16/05/2024 09:27, Simon Peyton Jones wrote:
> Dear GHC Steering Committee
>
> Trevis Elser has submitted GHC Proposal #601
> <https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/601>to us for
> consideration.  (It was originally drafted by David Christiansen, but
> Trevis took it over.)
>
> It proposes that that we classify extensions into four categories:
>
>   * Stable
>   * Experimental
>   * Deprecated
>   * Legacy
>
> It does not say which extensions are in which category (that's #635,
> still to come); it simply establishes the categories.
>
> *I strongly urge you to accept the proposal*. We have been using this
> language informally for years, and it's good to nail it down more precisely.
>
> There is plenty of discussion on the PR, but it's all about the
> specifics (e.g. do we want both Deprecated and Legacy; answer, yes).
> There seems to be a strong consensus around the principle.
>
> I don't expect this to be controversial. Please (everyone) can you
> respond within a week, by *end of day on Thursday 23 May. *Can you
>
>   * Reply by email
>   * Update the spreadsheet
>     <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e6GdwHmAjeDEUhTvP-b18MDkpTfH3SMHhFu5F3nDIWc/edit?usp=sharing>with your vote
>
> Thanks!

Adam Gundry, Haskell Consultant
Well-Typed LLP, https://www.well-typed.com/

Registered in England & Wales, OC335890
27 Old Gloucester Street, London WC1N 3AX, England