[ghc-steering-committee] #632: Phased introduction of GHC2024

Simon Peyton Jones simon.peytonjones at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 18:26:40 UTC 2024

I really want ghci to use the latest and greatest language edition.

I think we agree about this

I also would prefer it to be used when calling ghc on a quick test file.
If deemed necessary we can throw a warning when we fallback to a default in
that case.

Ah, but now we are on the slippery slope.  Your "quick test file" may well
become a little script you use every day... and it may then suddenly stop
working when you install a new GHC with a new default language edition.  We
don't want that!  And it is completely solved by saying that we never
change the default language edition for .hs modules -- if it works now
it'll work in the future because we always fall back to the same language
edition. (e.g Hsakell98 or GHC2021 or whatever).

In some ways Hakell98 is better: it's very stable; and it is so old that
it'll encourage you to put a one-line {-# LANGUAGE GHC2024 #-} at the top
of your module to make it self-describing.   I love self-describing files
:-)

I wonder if this debate would be better on the GitHub discussion thread?
I'd love to hear from more people.

Simon