[ghc-steering-committee] GHC2024 committee deliberation

Arnaud Spiwack arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Wed Nov 22 13:47:41 UTC 2023

We're currently proposing the inclusion of 12 extensions. Someone also
proposed BlockArguments in the thread, but it hasn't found a champion to
add it to the proposal (I won't be this champion, I find myself quite
unable to argue for or against it).

This'd bring us to 59 of the ~130 extensions. Almost halfway there!
(considering that some are deprecated or mere aliases, it's actually rather
better than it looks).

Maybe I should add QualifiedDo, too. I like QualifiedDo, and I don't
envision any change to it. Any thoughts on this one?

On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 at 10:41, Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, dem 22.11.2023 um 08:36 +0100 schrieb Arnaud Spiwack:
> > Joachim: you didn't opine on default type signatures.
>
> ups, scrolled past it.
>

> My gut feeling about that extension is that it feels relatively ad-hoc
> and specialized. Just look at the long list of “Detailed requirements
> for default type signatures” that go along with it! I’m hesitant to put
> into the curriculum of “contemporary Haskell”. We’ll see.
>
> > By the way, is it you kicking off the deliberation?
>
> I tried to kick it off already with the email from Nov 6, but yes, I am
> also writing my thoughts to stir more discussion. I hope we can start
> voting in two weeks.

>   mail at joachim-breitner.de
>   http://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Arnaud Spiwack