[ghc-steering-committee] #475: New tuple and list syntax, rec: accept

Spiwack, Arnaud arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Wed Feb 16 08:38:08 UTC 2022

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 9:49 PM Richard Eisenberg <lists at richarde.dev>
wrote:

> I propose we do not worry about 77-tuples. :)

To be clear: I don't worry (nor care) about 77 tuples (plus, for the most
part, the change there seems to be for the better). I care about being as
clear as possible on the changes that we propose. Hence my exploring the
current situation (which is so important that I had no idea what would
happen :-) ).

But what about `f (Tuple [HList [Int], Bool])`? The alternative, `f (type
> (HList [Int], Bool))` has a kind error: HList is expecting a list of types,
> not a Type. Of course, I could use a ' to get around that kind error, but
> that's what we're trying to get away from.

Indeed. But is it worth the cost? How about

`f (Tuple [HList [Tuple [Int, Bool, Int], Bool])`? The current spelling is
`f (type (HList '[(Int, Bool, Int)], Bool)`. Am I more worried about the
quote or about the visual noise? It's a genuine question. I'm not convinced
either way.

/Arnaud