[ghc-steering-committee] [EXTERNAL] Local module proposal on hiatus

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Nov 22 09:28:14 UTC 2021

In my mind the trouble is that it's a "big" proposal, with far-reaching consequences.   I too am strongly attracted by it.  But I am also a bit daunted by the engineering costs of adopting it.   (E.g. we have not begun to talk about Backpack or HLS.)

So, much as like it, I'm not upset about it going to sleep for a bit.

If some sponsor wanted to adopt it, and resource the development of the proposal and its implementation, as Tweag did for linear types (another "big" proposal), that would shift the calculus a bit.   We could wait to see if/when that happens.

Simon