[ghc-steering-committee] [EXTERNAL] Local module proposal on hiatus

Richard Eisenberg lists at richarde.dev
Mon Nov 22 16:03:32 UTC 2021

> On Nov 22, 2021, at 4:28 AM, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-steering-committee <ghc-steering-committee at haskell.org> wrote:
>
> If some sponsor wanted to adopt it, and resource the development of the proposal and its implementation, as Tweag did for linear types (another “big” proposal), that would shift the calculus a bit.   We could wait to see if/when that happens.

Yes, that seems about right. Though I originally thought I would get the proposal through the door, I knew I would not be the implementor, so the job was never going to be finished by me, anyway. Perhaps it makes sense for someone committed to do the implementation to finish it off.

The key thing for me is that there were several other proposals in this space, and I just thought there was a better design. I do think the design there is mostly good, with details to be filled in later.

Thanks,