[ghc-steering-committee] #409: Exportable named defaults, Recommendation: Partial Accept

Richard Eisenberg lists at richarde.dev
Wed Jun 30 02:38:09 UTC 2021

Just to chime in now that I'm back in action: I'm reasonably happy with the final result here, but still curious about whether the new warning will be on by default or not.

If it's not: then an unsuspecting user's program could drastically, silently change its meaning just by adding an import -- even if no symbol is used from that import! (I guess this is already true with overlapping instances and orphans. But that doesn't mean we should make the threat worse!)

If it is: the usefulness of the extension is lessened, because any use of it will be noisy.

Richard